Pages

Thursday 30 August 2012

CHOCOLATE!!! My favourite diet-friendly options

As well as being sick this last week I've also had my period. While I love getting it every month because I get to celebrate not being pregnant, I also hate it.

My feelings of extreme dislike are brought about by two factors. Firstly, on the first day I feel really awful (this is a get out of exercising, no questions asked, type awful that leaves me in bed for most of the day). And Two: I crave CHOCOLATE and salt and vinegar flavoured potato chips.

I have to admit it wasn't unusual for me to send my husband out to buy 1. 2 x 250g blocks of Cadbury's chocolate- 1 x peppermint and 1 x Turkish delight). 2. A 200g bag of chips. 3. Naprogesic.

These two foods seems to make me feel better. I don't know if there is some chemical reason I crave these, or if I'm just eating to try and distract myself from how gross I'm feeling. It's also likely that I use my period and feeling crappy as a way of justifying eating very poorly and eating junk food and not feeling guilty.

It goes something like this: "Don't you understand?! I have my period - I'm allowed to eat whatever I want. My body is an amazing, fertile organism and it wants chocolate and crisps. Who am I to argue?"

Now I know what you're thinking. The above is bullshit, it's a complete cop-out. I agree.

Now that I'm getting serious about losing weight I've had to change how much chocolate and what type I eat.

I want to share with you my favourite diet-friendly chocolate options.


1. Vitarium's sugar free Drinking Chocolate. 






This is delicious. It makes a great hot chocolate, but because it is so sweet I only use 2 teaspoons instead of the recommended 4. Each serving is only 9 calories and has only 1.1g carbs. (Of course when you make it you have to then factor in the extra carbs from the milk). I love it! it is so nice to have something warm, and sweet. Especially now that I've given up sugar entirely. Also this product doesn't have any bitter artificial sweetener after taste.

I have to admit that I have at some point during most days.

Finally I discovered that Vitarium also makes a kid's chocolate drink (found near the milo). It's EXACTLY THE SAME! The ingredients are the same and in the same percentages, the calories are equal, the taste is the same, but the kid's version is $2 cheaper! 




2. ... well, naturally's Sugar Free Dark Chocolate in Mint Crisp. 



Why do I love it?

First, it's 70% cocoa, so you get all the antioxidants and health benefits that come with eating dark chocolate.

Second, you can buy a small size packet at 45g. There is a Law of Chocolate recently discovered by economists and physicists, and it reads: the amount of chocolate consumed is equal to the amount of chocolate that person buys. If I buy a 200g block of chocolate I will eat all of it. BUT because this is only 45g, it means I can only eat 45g. I NEVER buy more than one. Once I finish if I want another one I will have to go to the shops and buy it  and I'm really, just too lazy.

Third, it's only 2.1g of carbs. It is practically sin free! I could eat 3 a day and not worry about it effecting my weight. I'm not going to, but this is because I'm working on not comfort eating.

Feel free to leave your favourite diet-friendly indulgences in the comments!




No comments:

Post a Comment